Note:

This blog is undergoing maintenance. Some contents/images/design might not be properly displayed. Please bear with us.
Thanks!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

SD Card (and Digital Camera) Unable to Display Files on Computer - SOLVED



The Problem:
Files in removable storages (camera and SD card) not displaying in My Computer.

          I have a GE J1050 digital camera with a Kingston 2GB SD Card. I wanted to transfer photos from them on to my laptop, but for some reason, My Computer isn’t displaying the said removable storages.

-  When connected via USB cable, the laptop detects the camera as it shows that “a new device is detected” and Auto-Play window pops up, but when I click on “Open Folder to View Files”, nothing shows up.
-   My Computer also shows the camera’s drive name (G:) but when I click on the folder, it’s empty.
SD Card’s drive name (H:) appears on My Computer but also shows no files in the folder.
-   SD card can be detected either via card reader, or through the USB-connected camera.

So what seems to be the matter, digicam?

The Solution: Show Protected Operating System Files
                
Go to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options. Remove the tick in the checkbox for Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)


Upon un-checking this, a new window would pop up:




Click ‘Yes’ and ‘OK’, and voila! My Computer will now show you the files in both the SD card and the camera. I then saved the files and reformatted the SD card just to be sure, and after that, it worked fine. Remember to CHECK THE BOX AGAIN after this to avoid unnecessary/accidental changes that may affect the performance of other programs or settings in your computer. I tested it by capturing an image using the camera and connecting both itself and the SD card alone to the laptop and it showed the files right away without the need of changing the folder options again.


You can also try these steps.
1. Format the SD card
                The obvious first suggestion, but I haven’t saved the files yet and didn’t want to lose them. So proceed to next step. However, if you’re not worried about lost files, go ahead and try it. Will save you a lot of time.

2.     Check Device Manager for any errors.
                Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printer > Device Manager. See if the removable storages can be detected under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and under Disk Drives. Update if necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment