Note:

This blog is undergoing maintenance. Some contents/images/design might not be properly displayed. Please bear with us.
Thanks!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pet Peeve #1: Inconsiderate Use of Phone’s Speaker

Yesterday, I went to the dentist to have my braces adjusted. In the past I always made sure to visit in the morning but I had to go somewhere, and I couldn’t put it off til Monday because I would be quite busy, so I decided to fit it in on a Sunday afternoon. I called the clinic first to find out what time it closes and I was informed by the receptionist/dental assistant that it’s until 5:30PM. I requested to be scheduled for 4PM but she said they no longer accept over-the-phone appointment reservations for that day because there were a lot of patients and only two dentists. She assured me, though, that I could still be accommodated as long as I was willing to wait so I agreed and off I went to Quezon Ave.

I arrived at the clinic five minutes before 4PM and there were, indeed, many patients on queue. I was second to the last on the patient list so I found a seat near the door and tried to read a Sherlock ebook on my phone. However, I couldn’t concentrate because there was this very familiar music that’s filling the air even louder than The Buzz being shown on the TV screen in the reception area.  It was the music from the android game, Pou, specifically from the mini-game Jump Cliff.  I remember it quite clearly because Patrick’s cousin used to borrow my phone just to play that game and I always told him to put the phone on silent because the music, catchy as it is, can be very annoying when you hear it over and over again. Here, let me share the agony:




I have to admit, the music is fun. But try to listen to that for over an hour, over and over again, on full volume. It overpowered even the noise of a room-full of people, the sound from the TV, and the whirring of the AC and the dental equipment.


I remember another instance when a similar behavior bothered me. It was when I went to a job interview a few months ago. The recruitment lobby had a very serene ambience that compelled people to maintain silence or at least speak in hushed voices when they must do so. There was a flat-screen TV playing Hansel and Gretel but the sound was too low it was pretty much just there as gray noise. Then in came a guy who's obviously applying for tech support: casual attire of jeans and huge, branded hoodie - check; huge headphones - check; real maangas swag - check. This guy proceeds to wait in one corner of the lobby and listened to blaring music which I could still hear faintly three feet away from him through his headphones. Worse, he was tapping his feet along with the music on the tiled floor! That time I didn't bother controlling myself and told him to quit the tapping because it's distracting. I did it with as much control and courtesy as I could, though, so he stopped and even apologized. Peace restored. :)

I guess what I'm trying to point out here is that people should always be mindful of the things they do, no matter how petty it may seem. The littlest things such as music on loud speaker can be distracting to others and the same goes with phone calls. As a rule, NEVER PUT ANYTHING ON SPEAKER IN PUBLIC. Not everyone enjoys the music you listen to no matter how awesome it is, and certainly, nobody gives a rat's ass whomever you're talking to. Phone calls are meant to be private; keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment